GREAT BRITISH ENTREPRENEURIAL TALENT CELEBRATED AT THE GREAT BRITISH ENTREPRENEUR AWARDS 2016
The Great British Entrepreneur Awards in association with NatWest took place in London last night (22nd November 2016), and celebrated the entrepreneurial successes of over 40 Great British Entrepreneurs.
The gala final saw finalists from a variety of categories including innovation, retail, start-up and young, celebrated and championed at the Lancaster Hotel, London.
This year for the first time we also celebrated technology entrepreneurs in a tech award segment sponsored by Kingston Smith. Categories including E-Commerce Entrepreneur of the Year, Digital Media, Entertainment and Gaming as well as Education Technology were all celebrated on the night.
Hosted by British Broadcaster Hardeep Singh Kohli, each category was fiercely contested and demonstrated that entrepreneurship is alive, thriving and blossoming in the UK. The gala final celebrated inspiring entrepreneurial spirit and promoted the idea that entrepreneurs’ stories are as telling as their balance sheets.
Nick James, Great British Entrepreneur Awards Founder
“Entrepreneurs are the wealth creators and the lifeblood of the UK economy. It’s incredibly important that we support them, throughout their journey with access to finance and networks; relevant mentors, general business advice and knowledge, all vital ingredients whether they are start up’s, early stage or high growth ventures. The standard of this year’s awards’ finalists shows just how much talent there is to support in the UK.”
Gordon Merrylees, Head of Entrepreneurship for NatWest
“There was an incredibly high standard at this year’s awards, so huge congratulations to all the winners and the finalists. It’s entrepreneurs like these who are driving our economy and creating the growth we need.
“Because they are so important in supporting the economy, we believe it’s important to support them. That’s why we offer entrepreneurs help throughout their journey, with access to finance and networks, relevant mentors, business advice and knowledge, and all the vital ingredients to succeed—whether they are start ups, early stage or high growth ventures.”
Shaun Pulfrey, founder and inventor of Tangle Teezer Hairbrushes was crowned the overall Great British Entrepreneur of the Year 2016 award, sponsored by NatWest. Shaun was commended by the judges for his tremendous success story, from “such a simple idea”.
Grimsby born and London-based inventor Shaun Pulfrey is a professional hair colourist who used his 30 years of expertise into creating a new category in hair care—detangling with the now world famous Tangle Teezer hair care brand. Initially rejected from Dragons’ Den in 2007 as a ‘hair brained’ idea, it has since been classed as the one that got away and hailed as one of the most successful ideas to be featured on the programme.
Full list of award winners:
- Creative Industries Entrepreneur of the Year—Rosie Davies, London Fashion Agency
- Eco Entrepreneur of the Year—Laurence Kemball Cook, Pavegen
- Entrepreneurial City of the Year—Edinburgh
- Entrepreneurial Co-working Space of the Year—Tom Ball, Desklodge
- Entrepreneurs’ Champion of the Year—Matt Gubba, Biz Britain
- Food and Drink Entrepreneur of the Year—Paula Wilkinson, Mum Bakes Cakes
- Innovation Entrepreneur of the Year—Jason Trost, Smarkets
- International Trade Entrepreneur of the Year—Shaun Pulfrey, Tangle Teezer
- Intrapreneur of the Year—Matt Asman, CISCO
- Micro Business Entrepreneur of the Year – Rachel Dunseath, Myroo SkinCare
- Retail Entrepreneur of the Year—Jacyn Heavens, Epos Now
- Service Industries Entrepreneur of the Year—Sebastian Steinhauser, Parcelly
- Small Business Entrepreneur of the Year—Dr Imrat Sohanpal & Liss Sohanpal, Nom Noms World Food
- Social Enterprise Entrepreneur of the Year—Ben & Mike Dyer, National Enterprise Challenge
- Start-Up Entrepreneur of the Year —Dr. David Tuch, Lightpoint Medical Limited
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year—Simon Crowther, Flood Protection Solutions Ltd & Skyrocket Solutions Ltd
- Great British Entrepreneur of the Year—Shaun Pulfrey, Tangle Teezer
Technology Entrepreneur Winners—Sponsored by Kingston Smith
- Education Technology—Lucy Rome and Deena Wiseman
- Digital Media, Entertainment and Gaming—Jason Kingsley & Chris Kingsley, Rebellion Developments
- IoT/Smart Home—Andy Mack and Ion Smith of Cyberhomes
- E-commerce Entrepreneur of the Year—David J Brown, VE Interactive
- Cyber Security—Dave Waterson, SentryBay
NatWest Boost Award Winners
- Creative Industries Entrepreneur of the Year—Isabelle Ugochukwu, Isabella Queen
- Eco Entrepreneur of the Year—Reiss Sulustro Pilson & Nigel Van Wassenhoven
- Entrepreneurial Co-working Space of the Year—Gareth Jones, Welsh ICE
- Food and Drink Entrepreneur of the Year—City Farm Systems
- Innovation Entrepreneur of the Year—James McFarlane, PM Connect
- International Trade Entrepreneur of the Year—Tony Convery, CDE Global
- Micro Business Entrepreneur of the Year—Julianne Ponan, Creative Nature
- Retail Entrepreneur of the Year—Paul Sulyok, Green Man Gaming
- Service Industries Entrepreneur of the Year—Rob Dance, Rock IT
- Small Business Entrepreneur of the Year—Luke Quilter & Anthony Klokkou, Sleeping Giant Media
- Social Enterprise Entrepreneur of the Year—Mark Beehan, Chatter Bags
- Start-Up Entrepreneur of the Year—Sam Gordon & Sophie Eden, Gordon & Eden
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year—Mark Wright, Climb Online
Full details of the Great British Entrepreneur Awards can be found at www.greatbritishentrepreneurawards.com.