Starstruck by Dolby Atmos
Source: Home Cinema Choice Magazine July 2017
Plush furnishings, a 3m-wide projector screen, star ceiling and 5.1.4 speaker setup make this a cinema room we’d love to kick back in
THIS CAVERNOUS HOME cinema was designed and installed as part of a whole-house project undertaken by UK company Cyberhomes.
The rest of the property has been kitted out with flatscreen displays, distributed video, a games room and no fewer than 15 audio zones—yet it’s this movie den that gets our attention.
Feeling like a crossover between traditional home cinema and a regular living space, it’s dominated by the 3m-wide projector screen that takes up almost an entire wall. This is currently used in conjunction with an Epson Full HD projector and sources ranging from Kaleidescape to Sky Q. Ceiling-mounting means upgrading the projector to 4K in the future is a simple task.
One upgrade that occurred midway through the project concerns audio – the proposed surround sound speaker system was boosted to a Dolby Atmos installation, using four in-ceiling speakers. These join with in-wall and behind-the-screen LCR models, plus an in-wall sub (all from Definitive Technology) to create a discreet 5.1.4 setup.
Integration with Control4, the system used through the rest of the house, ensures easy operation of the cinema hardware and lighting. Automated control also extends to the black-out blind n
- SCREEN INTERNATIONAL: 3m (wide) 16:9 ratio Cinesound Screen with velvet frame
- EPSON: EH-TW9200W Full HD projector
- DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY: 3 x DT8LCR in-wall speakers; 4 x DT6.5R in-ceiling speakers; 1 x IW Sub 10/10 in-wall subwoofer; 2 x UIW RSS II in-wall surround speakers; SubAmp 600 (600W rack amplifier)
- INTEGRA: DTR-60.6 AV receiver; DBS-30.3 Blu-ray player
- KALEIDESCAPE: KVAULT-DV700; Strato player
- CONTROL4: SR260 remote control
- APPLE: Apple TV
- SKY: Sky Q
- SEATING: Owner’s own